Sunday 10 February 2013

responsibility, smoncibility

Greetings internet.

On Wednesday Michelle came down from Manchester for a job interview in town. I met her at the Half Moon where a bottle of wine was quickly guzzled after the stresses of the number 25 bus home. The 25 is one of Londons busiest routes, going from Oxford Circus, through the city and out East via Whitechapel to Ilford. Its pretty strange as we crawl past buildings stuffed with finance and wealth - yet the bus is  full of people with no money, odour issues and the lack of ability to hold a conversation at a reasonable volume. Sometimes its an actual battle to even get off and I find myself starting to have a mild panic attack at the thought of having to barge my way past because no one understands the concept of ' excuse me please'.

I digress. We cooked what Dean has dubbed Toad On The Hill - my own cheats version of toad in the hole. Im not a fan of the spongey consistency at the bottom of the regular dish because it soaks up the sausage fat. Plus, what a ballache. I cook some sausages and onion and mash and essentially stuff it into a giant Yorkshire pudding. I apologise. None of my food ever looks terrible appetising but i can assure you it is deeeelicious.

After chats and smokes we passed out on my bed eating valentines cupcakes and watching American Psycho. Oh Christian Bale, how I adore thee.

Thursday night we swigged labrini in my room because we are poor and caught the bus down to Lounge Lovers in Shoreditch. The rain ruined our hair and the door host refused to let us in til we could prove we knew people inside. We met Steph who was on work drinks - Steph works for an insurance brokers in the city. Boy was I glad I got changed when  I got home - everyone was super slick but also really nice and accommodating to the fact me and michelle had gate crashed their night and brought us lots of expensive drinks.

We caught a cab to McQueens - another glossy shiny expensive bar that I dont normally frequent but kind of wish I had the money to. They sell wine worth thousands of pounds. I seek out places exclusively for happy hours. I drank gin, because it was free.And I hate gin normally.



We then caught another cab to Cargo ( two cabs in one night - cabs are such a luxury in London for me!) where it was some kind of urban night. I dont mind this kind of music i just CANNOT dance to it even when im really drunk. I can do it for about 30 seconds and think im really cool and funny and then start to feel like a comedy skit . The crowd was awesome and friendly and we met Mischa B from X Factor - from the series i actually bothered watching!


As it hovered past midnight i became accurately aware of the fact the next day I had a lunch with one of our Solicitor firms and probably shouldnt roll in with three hours sleep and a hangover. It was crap to leave because the company was excellent so I sloped off and caught a bus back home. It was so good to actually do something different for a change - and I am a fan of bar hopping which is something  especially on our own work drinks, that we never seem to manage.

I woke up late on friday anyway, still with a hangover and still came to work smelling like gin and dry shampoo. So, wasted exercise in trying to be responsible. Lesson learned: just stay out.

Erica booked us an area at Tiger Tiger for a change of venue on friday. Again, its not the kind of venue i would choose to go to normally, but as so many of us like different things we basically just require space and a cheap bar. I hadnt planned on staying out for more than an hour, but I am also weak and have no willpower and soon my boss was egging me to topedo smirnoff ices. Plus, it turned into one of those nights where everyone was the pefect amount of drunk - although I decline any claim that i danced to fifty cent swinging onto the bar at the bottom of the stairs.












Saturday morning Felicity and I dragged our respective hungover asses to the half moon for breakfast and coffee and coke before i came back home and went to bed where i stayed for./...the whole day.

As I have sunday. Its been so good.





No comments:

Post a Comment