Saturday 29 September 2012

Nice set change mother nature

Lately, Erica, Dean and I have been having 'productive Saturdays' whereby we try and fill our time by taking advantage of the great city we live in rather than lay in a hungover shitheap at home all day. Galleries, Southbank, foodmarkets etc. All give us that warm glow of self satisfaction and cultural smugness.

Last Friday, milking the teat of the hospitality at Gem Bar for our free drinks, we decided that having absoutely NO money would not deter us from not having a productive saturday. Therefore the next morning, with the sun blazing the last of its summer rays, we headed off along with Mark to the british musuem.

Its strange - at the time in all honestly, surrounded by the hustle and bustle of tourists and the sheer volume of artifacts, it becomes all too easily to just start skimming over some of the displays. Now when I look back at my photos, it hits me again just how old and beautiful it is.



The two displays I was most interested in were of course, the mummies and the jewellery. Dead people and shiny things. The jewellery especially, apart from being gorgeous, was really poignant when you stopped to think that a girl like me could have worn that hundreds of years ago. Sometimes, a little perspective in the fleetingness of our lives is necessary.

And of course, the building itself is breathtaking.



Erica and Dean had prepared a packed lunch and I had spend the last of my dwindling pennies contributing sausage rolls and onion rings and off we popped to bloomsbury square to soak up the last sun.




And then just like that, Autumn arrived. The trees shook off their leaves and the rain came down to wash summer away from our streets. Sunday was therefore spent with the heaters on, watching old films on tv and the wonderful homey smells of dinners and clean laundry.



And with the change in weather of course came the first wave of viral illnesses which turned the office on Monday into a plague pit of coughing,sneezing and general whining, myself included. Fortunately for me I had both Tuesday and Wednesday off work where I spent it under the quilt catching up on films, napping, and planning a new photography project.

My flatmate Felicity is already on the christmas train, which is highly infuriating to me as I am somewhat of a nazi when it comes to holidays around this season. First I celebrate halloween, and then bonfire night, and then there is no christmas festivities for me until the first weekend in december. that is when the tree goes up. However Felicity is adament ours is going up next month, and I have told her in no uncertain terms that if I come home and see a tree up before December I will launch it out the front door.


A while back, Mama Liz found us a group on deal for Octoberfest which I had pretty much forgotten about. So, after a quick jaunt down Denmark Street with The Irish, I headed to Oval for some sausage, beer and a german band singing covers of...greenday?! It was pretty surreal and it was nice to have dinner served to me by a guy in tights and there were indeed busty wenches with giant mugs of beer. The plague illness forced us home early and I almost experienced a christmas eve type rush knowing that it was finally payday in a few short hours!

 
 


Last night was Ericas birthday drinks and alrhough in all honesty we started out omewhat on half engines, the flurry of cocktails down my throat and good company turned it into a great night!. We discarded Grace Bar as soon as happy hour was over and ran across the street to Picadilly Institute where I am now suffering horrible flashbacks of doing MC Hammer and Spice Girls on the dancefloor. I should not be allowed.

 


Tina, Mountain, Lisa and I carried on after the birthday girl went home at the red lion in soho before i staggered back to east london to the chants of young buys shouting 'Roman Road! Roman Road!'. I have woken up with very sore feet, and my hangbag is filled with feathers and a plate. Surely the trophies of a night well spent?



And so my weekend can now begin. But first, a little more of this.











No comments:

Post a Comment